Can I have a normal life working with music in Sweden?

Prata om vad du vill (behöver inte beröra bas-världen), här är alla ord välkomna!
Everart
Nykomling

Can I have a normal life working with music in Sweden?

Inlägg av Everart »

Hello guys! I was wondering if it is possible to live as a musician in Sweden? as a freelancer, playing in pubs, recording and teaching! I'm a little disappointed because all the musicians that I contact always has the same way of think! that music is a hobby, etc... so I wanted to know if I Can have a normal life working with music in Sweden?

Thanks
Användarvisningsbild
BBQV
Forumvärd

Re: Can I have a normal life working with music in Sweden?

Inlägg av BBQV »

It's a small pond, but there are some ducks who survive in it.
I guess it takes some serious networking skills and ability to adapt to different situations, but that's sort of the same everywhere, right?
"If you reach perfection your standards are too low."

Presentation
Användarvisningsbild
GandhiMK2
Medlem++

Inlägg av GandhiMK2 »

Everart skrev:Hello guys! I was wondering if it is possible to live as a musician in Sweden? as a freelancer, playing in pubs, recording and teaching! I'm a little disappointed because all the musicians that I contact always has the same way of think! that music is a hobby, etc... so I wanted to know if I Can have a normal life working with music in Sweden?

Thanks
Hi, I actually wrote a LONG ass reply but I decided to ask you what you mean by "normal life" and what your carreer goals would be….
Is it to just play as a trubadour at different pubs 3 times a week for 1000 in the pocket or is it to become one of the top touring /recording bass players in the country or what is it?
What can you do and to what level of professionality? ;-)
I've survived only on music since 1990 but for me it's involved playing pretty much with everyone and anyone and playing, writing and producing pretty much any style. Hardly ever saying no. Always being able to find something in the music to be made/played that I enjoys.
So…what do you wanna do and what can you do? =)
? skrev:Jag är ingen blues expert, jag skrev faktiskt att jag inte ens lyssnar på det. Alltså är min information begränsad,men rätt..Aldrig har jag haft HELT fel i en diskussion
Användarvisningsbild
bootsy
Medlem+++

Inlägg av bootsy »

A normal life?
Well, you definitely can survive on it. Take all gigs you can get, network with other musicians (including bass payers - you never know when someone needs a sub!) Work on your playing and repertoire, have your gear in order, etc. Luck comes to those who work hard.
Stallet liknar mest ett veteflak.
Användarvisningsbild
Svensson
Forumvärd

Inlägg av Svensson »

bootsy skrev:A normal life?
Well, you definitely can survive on it. Take all gigs you can get, network with other musicians (including bass payers - you never know when someone needs a sub!) Work on your playing and repertoire, have your gear in order, etc. Luck comes to those who work hard.
Especially bass payers is good to know if you want to survive on music. :D (Sorry couldn't resist)
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that swing!

Medlem av PrataBas Gubbklubb 40+
Everart
Nykomling

Inlägg av Everart »

GandhiMK2 skrev:
Everart skrev:Hello guys! I was wondering if it is possible to live as a musician in Sweden? as a freelancer, playing in pubs, recording and teaching! I'm a little disappointed because all the musicians that I contact always has the same way of think! that music is a hobby, etc... so I wanted to know if I Can have a normal life working with music in Sweden?

Thanks
Hi, I actually wrote a LONG ass reply but I decided to ask you what you mean by "normal life" and what your carreer goals would be….
Is it to just play as a trubadour at different pubs 3 times a week for 1000 in the pocket or is it to become one of the top touring /recording bass players in the country or what is it?
What can you do and to what level of professionality? ;-)
I've survived only on music since 1990 but for me it's involved playing pretty much with everyone and anyone and playing, writing and producing pretty much any style. Hardly ever saying no. Always being able to find something in the music to be made/played that I enjoys.
So…what do you wanna do and what can you do? =)

You just answered my question! I've been working with everything that involve music! recording, playing jazz, funk, rock, pop, salsa, blues, bossa nova forró, pagode, axé, folk, etc... I don't want to be famous or rich! when I'm said "normal life" means pay my bills and have some money! but when I came in Sweden for the first time I got scared! in my country live music is something cultural and we don't have winter, so if one guy open one Coffee shop he will put a troubadour!!! and here every place I've been I saw a DJ.

I just don't want give up after 16 years of study, devotion, and everything that you know too because I can't survive by my music in Sweden.
Everart
Nykomling

Inlägg av Everart »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Svensson skrev:
bootsy skrev:A normal life?
Especially bass payers is good to know if you want to survive on music. :D (Sorry couldn't resist)
Skriv svar