Justin Meldal-Johnsens point of view

Prata om övriga saker som rör bas-världen
Användarvisningsbild
precision65
VIP medlem

Justin Meldal-Johnsens point of view

Inlägg av precision65 »

Saxat från Bass Players hemsida:

“The subtlety of tone is a huge thing,” said Beck bassist and lo-fi session god Justin Meldal-Johnsen. “Everybody who hires me really expects a lot out of me in that regard. I’m finding that more and more. I can’t roll into a session with a 7-string piece of driftwood and a fancy amp that goes to 20k. They’re not having it.” So what did Justin suggest players bring to gigs? “Right now the cycle is definitely toward vintage tones. Come in with some vintage tones that you can mess with or brighten up as needed. And there’s no reason every bass player here shouldn’t have a hollowbody. I can’t tell you how blown away people are when you roll in with a Hofner, or a Guild Starfire, or an old EKO bass from the ’60s that costs 300 bucks on eBay, or something like that with flatwounds on it. They sound huge—huger than you would think—and producers go ga-ga over it. Short-scale basses: Airline Pocket bass—28"-scale; Gibson EB-0—30w"-scale. You’ve got to experiment with this stuff. People freak out when you plug it in. You might think, Well I can’t do much on that. But it’s just not the case.”

AIK!

Fender Precision 1965 – Fender Precision Roger Waters – Hofner President 1965 - Music Man Stingray 5 - Ampeg V4B - Ampeg 412 - Blacstar Unity 250 cab
Användarvisningsbild
Hedersmedlem

Inlägg av 200071 »

Som alltid en fråga om sammanhang.... :wink:
“The subtlety of tone is a huge thing,” said Beck bassist and lo-fi session god Justin Meldal-Johnsen. “Everybody who hires me really expects a lot out of me in that regard. I’m finding that more and more. I can’t roll into a session with a 7-string piece of driftwood and a fancy amp that goes to 20k. They’re not having it.” So what did Justin suggest players bring to gigs? “Right now the cycle is definitely toward vintage tones. Come in with some vintage tones that you can mess with or brighten up as needed. And there’s no reason every bass player here shouldn’t have a hollowbody. I can’t tell you how blown away people are when you roll in with a Hofner, or a Guild Starfire, or an old EKO bass from the ’60s that costs 300 bucks on eBay, or something like that with flatwounds on it. They sound huge—huger than you would think—and producers go ga-ga over it. Short-scale basses: Airline Pocket bass—28"-scale; Gibson EB-0—30w"-scale. You’ve got to experiment with this stuff. People freak out when you plug it in. You might think, Well I can’t do much on that. But it’s just not the case.”
Användarvisningsbild
Danne
VIP medlem

Inlägg av Danne »

I can’t tell you how blown away people are when you roll in with a Hofner, or a Guild Starfire, or an old EKO bass from the ’60s that costs 300 bucks on eBay, or something like that with flatwounds on it.
Jag tror många yngre producenter är oerfarna när det gäller att nyttja ljudet i sådana skapelser. De har väl mest använt moderna High Tech basar och de stavar Vintage Sound med Fender P. Det är ju kanske inte det bästa i alla sammanhang (som du brukar påpeka Peter). Då blir de förvånade när de får ett helt annat frekvensspektra att jobba med och blir förbluffade över hur bra det kan låta i just den låten de jobbar med.
Skriv svar