A request for help (English inside)

Prata om vad du vill (behöver inte beröra bas-världen), här är alla ord välkomna!
Leash
Nykomling

A request for help (English inside)

Inlägg av Leash »

Hello there guys!

Well, for starters, please excuse my use of English here, but my Swedish aren't that good yet, so I think I'll be able to express myself better using English for the time being.

I've been reading the forum for quite some time now (with a little help from google translate...), but only recently did I join as a member. We are a couple of musicians from greece and we're moving to Stockholm, come February. I'm a bass player and my fiancee/sambo is a singer. We don't have any friends/acquaintances over there, but since the situation over here is... well, let's just say it's not the best for musicians, we decided to move to Sweden for a better life overall, although we'd prefer to focus mainly on music.

We're already getting some Swedish lessons, so we can at least know the basics before we come there, but still, it'd be easier for us to converse in English, at least for now.

Well, we know all the bureacracy and the procedures we have to do when we come, but I'd appreciate some help finding musicians over there. I hope our English isn't a factor for alienation and we don't plan on working only with immigrants either... We're playing rock 'n' roll, with an emphasis on hard rock/poser/glam songs. Mainly we're considering a cover band, and later on, provided we can actually establish a band we can work on some originals. Ourselves, we've been at it for years over here, and we're on a very decent level with our instruments (and vocals) and we're obviously trying to find competent musicians.

I didn't put this on the classifieds section since I'm not solely looking for band members (although that'd be quite nice) but I'm also looking for info on where it'd be best to look for musicians - other fora, rehearsal studios etc. and whether or not Swedes would have a problem being in a band with a bunch of "music immigrants", mainly considering the language barrier, if there actually is such a thing.

Once again, thanks for understanding. MANY thanks in advance!

:)
Det är så att Lady Luck dansar...
TredoX
Medlem+

Inlägg av TredoX »

Hi!

I'm very impressed by the huge step you and your fiancee are taking. And I am sure that there's no problem with you being from another country. I you were asking me to join your band it would be the opposite, I would love it!

About the language. Almost everyone in Sweden knows enough English to keep up a conversation and use it when working. And since music is a language itself, you guys have 3 different languages to use.

It is also very appreciated when people moving here really tries to learn Swedish, everyone gets impressed and fascinated by someone who wants to learn our language.

I can't say anything about the job opportunities, since I don't make a living of it myself, but I bet there's a lot of people here who can help you!

Welcome to Sweden!
Fender Jazz Bass American Standard (2008) | Fender Mustang CIJ |Ibanez SRX 500 | Gallien-Krueger 1001RB | GK 410 & 115 | Fender Bassman 50w '68 | Fender Bassman 212 '68 |

Karma Tree är bandet.
Leash
Nykomling

Inlägg av Leash »

Hey TredoX! Thanks a lot for the answer, it's really comforting knowing that the language isn't such a great deal as we thought it would be! To tell you the truth I was quite hesitant to even post in English, much less find band members! I really hope we're lucky enough to find our missing band members (I hope good guitarists and drummers aren't that rare here as in greece!) and start a band there, and we're really looking forward to moving there, you got an extremely beautiful country!

Tack så mycket!!! :)
Användarvisningsbild
Kim S
Medlem++

Inlägg av Kim S »

Hey Leash,

I hope that everything works out for you guys.

Like TredoX already mentioned, speaking English should probably not be an issue. I know several musicians in Stockholm that have lived there for decades and hardly know Swedish yet :lol: There should be tons of rock bands around for you to play with. If not, I'm sure there are tons of rock musicians who'd like to be in a band. Start your own band if you have to!

Take TredoX advice and try to learn some Swedish as quickly as possible though. In all circumstances when you're not with immediate friends, it makes things a lot easier. My wife moved to Sweden after we met, and it was a big relief for her when she finally understood what OTHER people were talking about when they were not talking to her. So you'll be doing yourselves a big favor.

This is not an attempt to make you feel less inspired about your move, but it may be to your benefit to have heard it. It is a massive generalization and everyone may not agree with me but I'll say it anyway. Swedes are not always as spontaneous and inviting as they'd like to think they are. On the contrary, their actions can sometimes be a little hesitant and half-hearted. Although I'm sure you'll make friends and find people to play music with, just be aware that you may have to take the initiative sometimes to get the ball rolling. So don't take it personal if you experience this at some point!

That said, (and I know people may disagree with this following statement as well ;) ) I do find Stockholm to be more open minded and willing to adapt to new influences than some other places. If I move back to Sweden, I think Stockholm would be a prime candidate for me even though Göteborg is my home town.

Anyway, I hope that everything unfolds as it should.

Welcome to Sweden!

Snart får du börja posta inlägg på svenska också :tummenupp:
Lado Superfalcon-2
Fender BG-29
SX P-bas
Ampeg B-100R (USA)
Ampeg PF-350 + TKS 112
Leash
Nykomling

Inlägg av Leash »

Hey Kim, thanks for all the info, really appreciate it!

As for the music, we already have a pretty much complete playlist, and quite large actually, and we're mainly looking to start our own band, I think it'd be better that way. And by the way, if anyone knows any sites/fora I could post an ad it would be great!

As for the language, we're still too green to speak it fluently, and the accent isn't the easiest to acquire, but we're trying to learn, we hope we can learn enough to communicate adequately until we move there! It's actually a top priority, since we don't wanna just go to Sweden and take advantage of the people, but try to assimilate, give something back, you know? We appreciate the welcoming gesture and despite widespread myths about Swedes being cold, all the Swedes we've met were really kind, polite and had no problem with us moving there, or being from another country or even the language, and I'm really glad we're coming to a country with such open minded people, it's a very very welcome change!

Once again, thank you so much for your wishes, and I wish you all the best as well! :D

Jag hoppas att jag kan skriva mitt första svenska inlägg snart!
YZZ
Medlem++

Inlägg av YZZ »

Hi Leash!

Welcome to PrataBas and to Sweden! :)

diskantforum.se is another fora where you can place an ad for your missing members. It's mostly guitarists that writes at diskantforum.se.
Rickenbacker 4003 - 80, Wal Mach I - 82, "Dtuner" Custom Jazz Bass (föredetta Cimar), Burny Eagle, + en massa annat skit.

YZZ
Markooo
Medlem++

Inlägg av Markooo »

Hello and willkommen! :vinkar: :D

Fender AV '62 P-bas, Fender JB62, Fernandes RB80

Hiwatt DR103 '72, GK 800RB, Marshall 1552 2x15
Användarvisningsbild
Hellish
Medlem+++
Kontakt:

Inlägg av Hellish »

Heya Leash and welcome!

Swedes are warm but Sweden is cold! :)

Check out Bandfinder at http://www.bandfinder.se for starters. I think some of us in here has found a place in a band through that site.

There's also a section in http://vend.se where you can put free ads to find the kind of musicians wou want, and also find musicians already looking for bands to play in.

Take care and get some really warm clothes, Stockholm is cold in february! :D
Leash
Nykomling

Inlägg av Leash »

Tack sa mycket for alla info guys, ni ar en stor hjalp! (hope this was right... :oops: )

Den har ar min forsta post pa Svenska har! :D

(Sorry but I don't have Swedish characters yet... )
Skriv svar