Söker en elektrisk kontrabas

Annonser om kontrabasar och kontrabastillbehör, säljes och köpes
GenuineAster
Nykomling

Söker en elektrisk kontrabas

Inlägg av GenuineAster »

Hello! I'm looking to buy an electric double-bass or upright bass (kontrabas) to learn the instrument with. I'm looking to emulate an acoustic double-bass for jazz playing/walking bass. For versatility, I'd also like one that I can use a bow with. I live in an apartment so an acoustic bass will just net me angry neighbors.

I've looked around at new electric double basses on Thomann, Gear4Music etc but they're all no-name with hardly any reviews etc. If anyone has any recommendations or has one they'd like to sell, it'd be much appreciated!

My max budget is 9000kr.
Användarvisningsbild
Leif Bas
Medlem

Re: Söker en elektrisk kontrabas

Inlägg av Leif Bas »

Hi, could this be the one?

viewtopic.php?f=33&t=92011
Janne
Medlem

Inlägg av Janne »

I've bought the Gear4music one a couple of years ago. Don't recommend it! The sound was so terrible with headphones connected to it, mostly just hum. I thought the sound thingy was broken so I sent it back and got another. It sounded exactly the same :D Needed a lot of work with the setup but now it's ok to play, was almost impossible to use it as it was when delivered.
GenuineAster
Nykomling

Inlägg av GenuineAster »

Janne skrev: tis 11 maj 2021, 19:35 I've bought the Gear4music one a couple of years ago. Don't recommend it!
Thanks for the advice! The price point is certainly attractive, but what few reviews I've found have been horrible.
Leif Bas skrev: tis 11 maj 2021, 18:01 Hi, could this be the one?

viewtopic.php?f=33&t=92011
Hey Leif, thanks for the suggestion. Can you tell me a bit more about it? Why you're selling it, how it compares to a double bass, what makes it good for beginners? And what preamp/setup you've used with it.

I managed to borrow a Harley Benton DB02 from a friend and I'm having a lot of buzzing issues with my pinky, as I understand it this is probably because my hands (and therefore pinky) are small and the strings are quite stiff too, so I've learned I probably want something that is a bit more small-hand friendly.
Senast redigerad av GenuineAster den mån 17 maj 2021, 05:57, redigerad totalt 1 gånger.
Användarvisningsbild
Leif Bas
Medlem

Inlägg av Leif Bas »

Hello, thanks for asking
Instead of writing a long self-centered description of my bass I give you this link, that shows different opinions:
https://www.talkbass.com/threads/ns-des ... ad.584000/

I have used this bass going straight into a bass amp, often my GK MB150. This sound has been good enough for me. The strings on the bass are NS originals, they are thinner/softer than most strings for uprights – and could be nicer to your pinky than heavy double bass strings.

I am selling the NS NXT because I bought another EUB, the Yamaha SLB 200. The Yamaha has its neck heel where it is situated on a double bass to help my autopilot with position shifting.
Where are you located? Is it possible for you to check out my bass here in Gothenburg?
boriborg
Medlem

Inlägg av boriborg »

Hi
I´d like to sell my Steinberger NXT 4a DB-SB. Excellent intrument in every way. Check on Thomann for the price of new on
Read all about it on my ad "Elkontrabas säljes" by Bo Riborg.
GenuineAster
Nykomling

Inlägg av GenuineAster »

Hi,

After doing much more research and getting the ropes of the EUB I borrowed, I've decided to wait a bit longer before making a purchase, as I've learned there is more to picking up this instrument than the piano (my main instrument for 15 years) or guitar. Small hands + small fingers + weak arms.. I get tired after just 10 minutes of playing! Thank god I'm not a leftie too.

Plus I'm starting to understand for real the difference in sound between an acoustic and electric double bass. I'll stick with my friend's bass for a short while to actually form opinions and know what I want. I'm starting to get rid of the pinky buzz now, which is great, and I foresee more problems fixing themselves with practice, so I'm sure my requirements will be totally different in a couple weeks. I have a love/hate relationship with the built-in headphone amp/preamp, it's too noisy and there's zero sound stage (the sound comes right out of my ears) which makes it very distracting to play. I've mainly been playing without any headphones or amplification, it's loud enough that I can hear it, and quiet enough that the neighbors (hopefully) can't.

For the NXT basses, I think my main point of contention from limited research is the stand. I understand you can buy a kit to get an endpin instead, but that adds to the cost. I kind of like the mobility of having an endpin, and my Stockholm apartment is quite small so stowing the stand + bass in the corner between my couch and my piano (where I've wedged my loaner-bass) seems tough.
Leif Bas skrev: sön 16 maj 2021, 22:57 Where are you located? Is it possible for you to check out my bass here in Gothenburg?
I'm just South of Stockholm currently, so Gothenburg is a bit of a long trip!
Användarvisningsbild
fieldflower
Hedersmedlem

Inlägg av fieldflower »

The NXT's stand works fine with the feet set quite narrow.
Or You can easily retract the feet and stow the bass with the stand still on.

One fun thing with the stand is that it's super easy to have both bass guitar and the EUB on stage, and just switch between them totally effortlessly by an A/B-switch and simply playing the EUB with the bass guitar still on.
I'm blurry in this picture, but You get the point...
Bild

If You're looking for the sound of an acoustic double bass, most EUB's (including the NXT) are rather giving a "fretless bass on steroids" sound.
You can get closer if putting foam under the strings, but it's still pretty much a fretless bass sound.

I have an NXT and really like it, but good to know what to expect...
Medlem i PB50+
Mexen
Nykomling

Inlägg av Mexen »

Bump. Följer gärna tråden om den fortsätter. Har ju villhövt en EUB i 20 år.. men aldrig slagit till...
Spelar annars elbas men vore kul att lära sig. utrymme å kostnadsskäl är väl huvudfaktorer både till behov och varför det inte blivit av...
Dessutom ser man dem aldrig ute på annons eller ens i affär för att prova?
Skriv svar